What a day, what a day...
All dressed in red and white we decorated the boys bikes and Tilly's stroller for the neighbourhood parade.
L. baked some cookies and everybody in the neighbourhood brings something to the parade. It's just kids on their bikes, with parents and their strollers walking up the street, turning around and walking back.
Of course there were lots of decorations and some people were dressed up from head to toe, with American flags, hats, earrings...
After the parade there was music and of course the singing of the national anthem. All food and drinks were free, so we had hotdogs, salads, cookies...basically too much of everything!
Around 5pm, after a break in the early afternoon, the whole family went to a BBQ at a friends house. There I had the chance to meet a Dutch couple again that works at Vanderbilt. An. and G.-J. are in Nashville since a year and live close to the A.'s. We already had them over for dinner one evening and had a nice time. They invited me over for a game night already...too bad Tom isn't here...
I could not eat much at the BBQ since I already had soooo much to eat in the morning, but I got the impression that the 4th of July is mostly about eating and drinking...;-)
Just after 9pm a small group of party guests decided to climb up a hill (mountain in NL :-0 ) to watch the fireworks downtown. It was worth all the trouble! The boys really enjoyed staying up late and they got to see the fireworks for the first time !!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hey love!
It would have been great to celebrate the 4th of July with you and the family. These boys are amazing, writing their books with such impressive titles :-) I hereby volunteer as a proof-reader before they start publishing.
Nice to see an entry again on your blog, I know it's a busy life over there, so don't worry about only sporadically entering some new stories. As long as you keep in contact with me :-) Missing you, but working hard makes the days pass pretty fast, and together with weddings to go to and visiting my parents, I hope to feel that times passes by even faster. I'll talk to you again soon! All my love
Mountain...hehe. Sounds like you celebrated a great American holiday! How movie-picturesque.
We missed you at book club on Sunday. Caitlin seemed to fit in ok and really liked all the girls. Jessica made a kick-ass tapas dish with potatoes/sausage and this yummy sauce. We actually talked quite a lot about the book this time. :-)
The new book is Wild Swans:three daughters of China by Jung Chang.
Are you able to see GG over there? Cait and I watched today - episode with Layne's baby shower...she is way too big. Missed our Tuesday night call.
oh, Caitlin has a new blog too if you want to check out her progress over on this side of the ocean - as you two have kind of switched places. It's http://www.caitscuriosities.blogspot.com/
Wow,
All I can say now is FIVE YEARS?!! Man, how the time goes by. I feel older than I did a couple minutes ago.
Glad the southland is treating you well. Try to have a little fun (but not too much).
Post a Comment