Friday, July 13, 2007

oh well...

The other day L. and I went out later in the evening to buy some flowers for my window...nice thought.
But we never actually made it into the flower shop...
Now, you wonder, how could that have happened...
Going down the rather old wooden stairs of the shop I slipped, popped my knee cap out and in and out and in, fell, landed on my bottom and hit the stairs with my lower back...
A very loud scream later I could hardly believe what had just happened, this was supposed to be a fun outing!
I sent L. off to get the things she wanted, but she returned not much later, insisting that we would go home immediately. She had to bring the car around, since I could not walk very well. Back at home I got pain killers and ice to put on my knee and A. searched the garage and found my crutches - which I only used that very night.

But, not to worry!!
I'm doing much better already! Since my knee had swollen to the size of a water melon (ok, some exaggeration here, for dramatic effect ;-) ) I did not drive for some days or try to chase the boys around. The swelling has gone down and the pain is reasonable. This unfortunately happens to me every once in a while and chances increase when I put on some more weight (more for my knees to support). So I guess I should really not join the boys in ice cream after dinner every night, chips for lunch and triple cheese sandwiches...

Hopefully I will be pain-free soon and able to walk normally. I do have health insurance while I'm here but I'd rather not have to use it, if you know what I mean. Normally I recover fast, but I expect it to take some more time, since I can't really rest my leg as well as I should.

So, that's that ! Got the drama over with, on to other things!

4 comments:

Tom said...

You poor thing! Working so hard and then getting such an injury. Now you better let the tables turn and have the boys look after you. They should get you even more flowers now than you were about to get on that trip! I don't think sending flowers or a fruit basket from over here is the best idea, so I will count on them to take care of that :-) Happy to hear that things are going better, but I know you, so still take it easy OK? Keep that health insurance unused and keep me worry free... Take it easy and keep sending messages, missing you a lot!

Unknown said...

Welcome to the American health care system...it really does suck. I hope you heal well. I had the same thing happen (well, not exactly the same -- but my knee looked like a tennis ball) about 11 years ago -- it took a couple weeks. Keep it supported and bandaged up.

Frans & Elly said...

Dat was wel even schrikken van zo'n bericht.
Hopelijk kun je op je verjaardag toch wel een dansje maken.
Mocht je toch verpleegkundige hulp nodig hebben, dan is een reis van mij naar Amerika altijd te bespreken.
Maar zoals Tom al zei: laat je door de jongens maar goed verwennen dan komt het vast wel goed.

Jenna said...

Hey sweetie. You poor thing. Hope you're feeling a bit better by now. :-)