Friday, August 3, 2007

central air....brrrr

Some of you have heard me complain about, or even suffered yourself, from the temperature in my house in NL: freezing cold in the winter (thanks heating blanket! BEST buy ever!) or the sauna it becomes once temperatures go up.

But this is nothing compared to the crazyness of CENTRAL AIR! For those of you not familiar with the term, let me explain: it's just like central heating, so there are vents in the floor in every room of the house and cold air comes out of them in summer, hot air in winter. One would think that I would quite enjoy that...NO!

It's aweful! Outside it is hot, hot, hotter, you sweat just bringing in the mail, but when you enter the house... within minutes I'm off to my room to put on socks and a warm sweater! I used to sleep with 5 (!) blankets at night until I covered the vent with towels. Entering any building in your summer clothes is just foolish! You immediately notice who works there (long pants, real shoes) and who just comes for a visit (shorts, flip-flops, rubbing arms to stay warm, blue faces).

Don't even get me started on the energy wasted on central air! Why would anybody need to keep it a crisp 67F in an office building at night when there is nobody in the building??

I do like my own ac to keep my bedroom from turning into an oven, but this is too much! I prefer to keep cool the old world way: open windows early in the morning, close shades and live in darkness inside the house all summer, create a breeze by opening all windows late in the evening, drink ice-cold gin and tonic ! The only way to really enjoy summer!

2 comments:

Tom said...

Those silly Americans... And I agree that heating blanket what a brilliant buy, but only because you still like the warmth I can give you as well in the cold winters! Too bad the airco cannot help me out in the summer for that point, but oh well... Good luck keeping your balance between the hot outside and freezing inside, I promise I won't install central air while you are away.

Jenna said...

Not to mention the enormous, outrageous costs of the electricity bill for central air. Did you ever just consider turning it down a bit? or is everyone else so comfortable at the freezing temp?

The worst is in Texas in August, when you step out of the shower and despite the central air, you're already sweating again...ick!