Well, for some good old fashioned exercise, to get to know the neighbourhood and breathe some fresh air, I've decided to go for a walk this afternoon. Oh, and of course the fact that there was no car available and I really wanted to spend some money...;-)
L. told me about this art store that has prints of one of my favourite American artist. " It's really close by, only about half a mile to walk." Half a mile? That's nothing! Come on! Half a mile! I'm used to walking EVERYWHERE, hell, I'm used to biking EVERYWHERE, yes, in ALL weather conditions - I'm making myself out to be quite the outdoorsy type, exercise loving, constantly moving, quite funny if you think of the real me...(motto: I'm in no shape to exercise and let's take the car)
So, I've not only convinced L. that half a mile is nothing for me, but I actually believe it myself. After all, I have no clue just how far half a mile really is, and for all of you who jog thousands of miles in all weather and want to tell me just how many kilometers a mile is - DON'T!!
I don't want to know, and I want my suffering to be appreciated!
So I get changed and look all cute when I set out on my adventure!
This will be fun! Out without the kids, walking in the sunshine, enjoying the warm air, smiling to myself...oops, forgot the sunglasses, man, my eyes really start hurting, it is exceptionally bright today...no longer smiling, more squinting...
Once I've reached the main road my smile is gone...
WHAT was I thinking???? WALKING!!! It's hot, the sunshine is burning my nose and shoulders, the warm breeze has turned into exhaust wind. The smile is a frown and suddenly there is no more sidewalk! I'm walking on the street, cars beeping at me (I did look rather nice, if I may say so myself...) and strange men on benches, doing god only knows what, stare at me!
On top of that it's not NL we are talking about here folks! This is serious walking! Up and down hills! Don't ever wear flip-flops on an outing like that! Never! No matter how well they match your outfit! I was actually scared at one point that my shoes would fall off because the glue might melt or they might get stuck to the road because the road melted - this has really happened to L., so it's not too unreasonable for me to think that! But you do know how these nightmare thoughts suddenly pop up and you come up with these possible and impossible scenarios. I think it also didn't help that I wasn't sure if I was walking in the right direction... Left or right at the big crossing? Gosh I wish I would have paid attention to the instructions given by L. But all I EVER remember when somebody gives me instructions are the first 2 things: at the end of the street take a right, first stop sign left and then......peeeeeeeeeeep........lost me! Usually I just stop again and ask somebody else and that's what I keep doing till I've reached my destination. Not today though! I tell myself that I will wait and see if the store is just behind that next hill...and it is!
When I finally reach the shop and spend some money on something I feel relieved...aaaaahhh...it has all been worth it!!
Some of you might recognize the symptoms...yes, I AM A SHOPAHOLIC, and not ashamed to admit it! It has been too long! This was my first buy since the Ann Taylor all-on-sale-for-almost-nothing shopping spree 3 weeks ago!! Who can blame me!
After a cold beverage from our Starbucks friends (wink, J.) and some chocolate bar for the road -purchased at a pharmacy - (the things you can buy at a pharmacy!) I make my way home...
How come walking back is always faster? Or does it just seem faster to me, because I hold a chocolate bar in one hand and a shoping bag in the other?
Life is good...walking is fun, half a mile really isn't that far... I enjoy the sunshine, the warm breeze and I smile...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a healthy girlfriend I've got! Going for long adventurous walks, not knowing where she might end up, but still making sure she is looking good. Not that that will go wrong anyway, but still... Not too fond of the men at the side of the road though, don't talk to strangers my parents always told me, a wise advise I will send to you now :-) Keep up the healthy life and keep us informed where your adventurous travels take you next!
What, I don't pay attention for a couple days and there's already 3 new posts I haven't seen - geez, you've been busy. I like your writing Sabrina...it's funny and sounds like you. I hear you talking when I read it and makes it seem like you're not so far away. :-)
Post a Comment