Thursday, August 30, 2007

Gefeliciteerd!

...which means "Congratualtions" in Dutch!

Well, who am I congratulating?!
The ever so sweet boyfriend of mine! Why? Because I'll be coming home soon and he'll have me back!

No, just kidding! Well, I will come back but that's not the reason...

As some of you know T is busy with his last year of his PhD at the UT (University of Twente) and therefore already job searching...

The search is OVER! Yep, before it really began, it's over already!

T went through interviews with a Dutch (research) company called TNO and got a job offer from them about 4 weeks ago...

BUT at the same time the University where he does his PhD also approached him and asked if he might be interested in a position as an assistant professor!! Uuuuhhhh!!! How amazing is that!
It's exactly what he would want to do: be in the academic world, do research, teach, create and work in new groups...

BUT (another one...) he can only be an assistant prof once he has a PhD...

BUT they would like him to start right away anyway...!!

So after many meetings and talks with his advising professors, people from his department (math) and the guys from the other department (management) they decided that they WANT to hire him right away, starting the 1st of Sep!

T will "stretch" his PhD out and only spent (and be payed) 50% of his time working on his research for the PhD. The other 50% of his time (and money) will come from his teaching until he finishes the PhD.

It's just great! Not only because T has the job of his dreams but also because we can still live together, which was a worry since I will start studying in Münster. We'll probably move there eventually and commuting will be doable!

Again, CONGRATULATIONS and good luck at your first day of school...ups....I mean work, of course ;-)

3 comments:

Tom said...

Thank you, thank you! I thought this blog was about you in the US, but suddenly I am in the center of attention. Naturally I am very pleased with the job, I'm looking forward to my first day there on Monday. Exciting to do other things as well and start in a new group. I'm sure it will be a fun day of school, eh.. work!

Anonymous said...

Hoihoi,

het was weer gezellig gisteren. Een voor ons ook handig om hier eens NL te spreken met iemand anders ipv alleen maar tegen elkaar en langzaamaan amerikaanse termen erdoor te gooien :). Ik zal binnenkort de rest van je berichtjes lezen en eens zien hoeveel herkenbare dingen er zijn.

groeten
Anneriet

Jenna said...

Tom (and Sabrina) - I'm so happy for you. That's great news. It seems like everything is falling into place and Sabrina can return without too many stresses or worries. Everything was so up in the air when you left. See, Sabrina - how a little time in the good ole US of A can bring clarity. :-) Looking forward to seeing you soon!!