Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Near accident

On Saturday I was free to do Sabrina-things until later that evening, so I drove down Westend, turned right on Edgehill and was soon passing the housing projects on my way to R.'s house. We had planned to go downtown and pay a visit to the Ryman Auditorium which was once the home of the Grand Ole Opry.

As we pull out of her driveway about to take a right, I see two faster cars coming from the opposite direction but wanting to turn into the same street. Since I hate having impatient drivers breathing down my neck I let them go first and followed. Both cars turn right almost at once to park - or so I thought...

The driver of the first car decides that parking isn't such a good idea after all and starts to try and turn his car around at full speed not noticing the big, old, brown Volvo in his way!
I step on the breaks with both my feet, noticing with a sideway glance, that cars are parked to my right, so I can't just throw the steering wheel around.

And still the guy doens't see us!!!!

He keeps turning until I'm certain we will crash... Well, we didn't, as the title of this entry reveals, but it was only the strong breaks and reflexes that prevented this. If I would have driven the other car, we would not have made it, it's breaks are not nearly as good.

So as I come to a screeching halt I scream louder then even I thought I could. I scream like a mad woman, leaning out of the open car window:

AAAAAAARRRRSCHHHHHHLOOOOOOOOCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess instinct kicked in & I cursed and screamed in German (assh... for all non Germans, was my word of choice). The guy in the car just looks at me and does a tiny wave, which doens't do anything to calm my temper:
GLABSCHDE DESS, ARSCHLOCH!!!!!!!!! ("can you believe this assh...").

As we drive on, hearts still racing, I look at R. and suddenly I think I can hear her thoughts... "How can such a small woman make such a horrible noise..."??

Well, as they say, silent waters are deep and small women can make extremely horrible noises...

2 comments:

Tom said...

That's my girl! I have to say I have experienced these outburst and they are truly impressive. But not to make fun of all of this, I'm so happy you paid such good attention and were driving a car that had decent brakes. Good thing you are so careful. I hope R. also got over the shock of almost crashing and the following Sabrina explosion.

Counting down the days until you are safely back here with me! Love you!

Jenna said...

Haha! I too have been witness to these explosions. Poor R. Glad you're ok. :-)