Thursday, August 16, 2007

People...

As you know I spend at least a couple of hours at the pool with the boys every day. It's important for them to get out and about and even more important that they are dead-tired by the time we're done ;-)

There are many, many colourful characters at the pool and I've decided to introduce y'all to one of them: the HATMAN!!

He's a young guy, maybe about 25 years old who works at the snackbar at the pool. He has long, curly black hair and wears a wool hat every time I see him. The other day he's walking on the other side of the pool when No. says: "Hm, he's wearing a different colour today..." And sure enough, he is. As we dutyfully exchange our "howareyoudoingreatandyou's", I tell him that the boys are keeping track of the colour of his hats. "Aaaah!" he says, "The hats...I buy them at this place in Hillsborough."

And now it comes, he looks me straight in the eye and says:
"I'm a drummer you know." Ah, yes, a drummer....mh, and that does explain the wool hats in the crazy summer heat?? Apparently! I nod knowingly AS if I REALLY understand about the hats and being a drummer for different bands and working days at a pool club.

But let me ask you, just WHAT do wool hats have to do with being a drummer? Is it a "thing" for drummers to wear hats? Does it protect their ears from unwanted noises? I honestly have no idea, but what do I know about the music world?
After all, Nashville IS music city and if drummers here wear funny wool hats...

Still, I don't get it. Isn't it like me saying :"Yeah, I own many pairs of shoes, but then I WAS born in July.....!"

Now, you go and figure that one out!

3 comments:

Tom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tom said...

Just what do you think you are doing talking to a drummer with a fuzzy hat by the poolside!?! So let me tell you how I read this story: There is this guy that works at the pool, the best place to see cute girls in bikini. (Don't start about it is just moms with small kids, you're there, right?) He does not get a lot of attention, just doing his job. So what do you do then? You start wearing silly hats! Hard to ignore, as you have experienced yourself. So then people start talking to him about the hat. He can't tell the real reason why he wears them, but wants to make a good impression, so he starts by awing his audience by telling he is a cool drummer. Nice extra effect to keep people wondering about the hat, but also never forgetting is so cool to be a drummer. Quite smart, eh? But what do I know? I mean, I'm just a mathematician, but hey, I DO NOT eat cheese!

Jenna said...

I think Tom's comment is about the funniest thing I've ever read. It's even funnier that there is a comment deleted above it, which you just know is from Tom. Oh, if only I could read what he deleted.

Ummm, jealous?

What does cheese have to do with anything?

I'm thinking the kid spends too much time in the sun.